Welcome to our comprehensive guide on getting started with flashing the Nebra firmware onto your Bobcat 1G hotspot. This process, also known as "firmware flashing," involves replacing the original firmware of your Bobcat 1G device with the Nebra firmware. Whether you are a seasoned tech enthusiast or a beginner looking to expand your knowledge, this guide is designed to make the procedure as straightforward as possible.
Please note that while flashing firmware is a common practice, it does require care and attention to avoid damaging your device. Always ensure you are following each step accurately, and remember that you're undertaking this process at your own risk. This guide will walk you through the process step-by-step, from the necessary preparations and precautions to the actual process of flashing the firmware. Let's get started!
What you will need
- Bobcat 1G Hotspot
- 8GB (Minimum) microSD with SD adaptor
- Memory card reader
- Bobcat 1G Firmware Image from hub.nebra.com
1. Head over to https://hub.nebra.com and click on Bobcat in the left-hand side menu. Here you will have two options to choose from. Please select "Bobcat 1G" and click Download to begin downloading the Firmware image for your Bobcat.
Please ensure you download the correct firmware image for your device
2. Once the Firmware image file has been downloaded you will need to flash it to the microSD card. Insert the microSD card into your memory card reader or insert it into the SD adaptor and then into your memory card reader. Connect the memory card reader to your computer or laptop.
3. On your computer, download and install Balena Etcher from https://www.balena.io/etcher/
Once downloaded open up the Balena Etcher program on your computer.
4. Click on the Flash from File button in balenaEtcher and navigate to where you save your downloaded Firmware file. Select it to be installed.
In the middle button of balenaEtcher, click select target to select your SD card to install the OS (It may be selected automatically).
Finally, click on the Flash! button to begin installing the Firmware to your microSD card (you may need to type your login password here).
5. Once it has finished, you can now remove the SD card from its adaptor and card reader and then insert it back into the Bobcat hotspot. If you look on the back of the device there is a TF labelled slot for the microSD card.
6. Finally, connect your Ethernet cable to the hotspot and the power cable. The hotspot should now boot up with your new Firmware installed. It may take up to 30 minutes to do all the updates. You can access the diagnostic page by typing in the IP address of the hotspot into your web browser. You can find further information on the local device diagnostic page here - Local Diagnostics